Strata 3D CX 5.1 Release Notes
Note: Strata 3D CX 5.1 is a Mac Universal application, meaning it will run natively on both the Mac PPC and the Mac Intel platforms.
Windows Users: After running the Strata 3D CX 5.1 Updater, your Serial Number will be required to launch your updated Strata 3D CX program. Be sure that you have your Serial Number and Strata 3D CX CD in hand before continuing with this updater (CD portion does not apply to downloaded versions).
What's Been Fixed/Enhanced!
- Fixed large blur size crasher
- Fixed a scripting problem with dialog displaying.
- Render to layers - PSD file layer compression is now supported.
- Fixed a Texture tab crasher. The fix for this issue now correctly disables texture editing of selected objects that do not have textures applied to them or if multiple objects are selected.
- Fixed a random crasher when canceling renderings shortly after the rendering was started.
- Fixed a crasher with selecting the About Strata 3D CX... menu item while the About screen was still open.
- Fixed an issue that resulted in rendering artifacts and a crasher on multi-processor systems when rendering a model with two or more non-global volumetric textures with a camera set within the volumetric texture space.
- A "crawling" or shifted texture problem on Mactel and Windows (Intel) systems is fixed.
- The 'Play movie' button in the Image Load dialog works again.
- Fixed a random crasher that occurred when dragging items from the resource palette.
- Fixed the crasher when editing/ending a reshape of a deformation lattice.
- Fixed a multi-processor rendering crashing bug.
- Fixed an issue with selecting a bone in the bone list in the Skeleton OP and the bone selection in the modeling window not updating and vice versa.
- Fixed a move, rotate and scale issue. Rotation is the default, however changing the rotation value would cause the bone to move not rotate when the Apply button was pressed. This would be corrected, however, once you selected the move setting, at which point the numeric edit fields would sync back up.
- Fixed a popup menu conflict with Skeleton and the micro-polish popup menus.
- Removed the obsolete "PICT Resource" file format option.
- Fixed suspension restarts, on Windows, that are writing to a QuickTime file, but failing. The user will now be prompted for a save file.
- Fixed a significant performance hit on the Mac Intel platfom when rendering with feedback on. Feedback now updates less often. This fix also benefits the Mac PPC and Window platforms, though to a lesser degree than the Mac Intel platform.
CX 5.1 Mac Intel version - Unsupported items:
- FBX (This can include import OBJ objects from CX 4.x, as they were imported via the FBX mechanism and remained an FBX entity). Converting to a Polygon mesh in 4.2 or 5.0(.1) should allow the files to come into the Mactel release. CX 5.1 on a PPC will still open and work with the older OBJ format. Note: you can enable CX 5.1 on the Mac Intel systems to run under Rosetta (PPC). To do this "Get Info" on the CX 5.1 application file and enable the "Open under Rosetta" option.
- StudioProReader (which reads StudioPro Blitz 1.75 and Vision 5.0 files). This is still supported in the PPC version.
You must have Strata 3D CX 5.0 in order to update to version 5.1. This updater will also update the PDF extensions and Strata 3D Vector plug-ins (for CX 5), if necessary. and if these have been installed into Strata 3D CX 5.
Online Technical Support
Strata's technical support can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Though customer sales support is available by phone, no technical support is available via telephone. Answers to technical questions can be found in two additional ways. You can search the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and gain access to many other support resources by clicking on the Support link at Strata's website (www.strata.com). You can also find a great deal of support resources at Strata's user community site - www.stratacafe.com. At the StrataCafe you can find helpful information in the forums and answers to specific questions. You'll also find a place to post your work in progress and gain access to tips, techniques and more.
The StrataCafe members are very willing to help answer many of the questions you may have about Strata 3D and many other issues dealing with the 3D world. You'll find the discussion forums to be friendly. Also check out the 3D challenges, image galleries, resource libraries, and much, much more.
Technical Support Notes
When moving suspended renderings that contain linked textures, be sure that the .rdf and linked texture files are all located in a common folder. Suspended renderings will not prompt for missing files. So be sure that everything is placed with the .rdf file.
If you would like to reset all of your Strata 3D CX preferences, choose the applications Preferences command from the Strata 3D CX menu. Sometimes (though it is rare) the preference file may become corrupt and cause the application to function strangely. Resetting the preferences can sometimes help to resolve abnormal behavior in the application. To Reset the preferences, go to the Preferences dialog and click on the Reset button. Use the Quit option to immediately reset the preferences.
Compatibility Issues - Graphics Card Issues
Strata 3D CX utilizes the 3D graphics card in your computer for drawing the modeling windows. This can include, but is not limited to the movement of objects and displaying textures in the various windows. It is also used for other functions in the program. It is usually a good idea to keep your drivers up-to-date. Apple supplies both the nVidia and ATI drivers as part of the system install. Occasionally, however, a driver update may become available on the Apple website for both the nVidia and ATI cards, or via Software Update. ATI may also post newer drivers on their website for cards purchased separately from your Macintosh.
Strata 3D CX users with nVidia graphics cards are _strongly_ encouraged to set your Display Preferences to Millions of Colors (32 bit) for the best possible user experience.
Known Strata 3D CX Issue
Polygons with holes do not generate good bevels in the Polygon Mesh reshaper. Examples of a polygon with holes would be: a Circle with a inner hole radius of 50% created with the Circle Tool; characters created with the Text Tool like A, D, O, e, q etc.; and EPS, AI, PDF files with holes in the geometry. We are working to resolve this issue in a future release.