Strata 3D CX 5.5.1 Release Notes
What's Been Fixed/Enhanced! (5.5.1 release)
- The lathe object now redraws after a change is made.
- Optimizations made to Autosmooth.
- Autosmooth now supports hard edges and hard vertices.
- Fixed scaling to zero problem in the poly mesh editor when using the Vertex Scale tool.
- Fixed the display of objects with multiple textures in non-shaded views. The bottom-most texture's color was displayed on the wireframe instead of the top-most.
- The Snap Tool's stretch option again works with polygon meshes.
- Fixed a Skeleton shape preview crasher.
- Fixed a Camera window crasher.
- Fixed a crash that could occurred upon clicking the "Position" button in the texture properties tab.
- Fixed some Boolean issues that resulted in a crash when loading some model files containing booleans (mainly embedded boolean objects).
- Fixed a Boolean subtract problem where the faces being subtracted were oriented the wrong direction.
- Fixed Render 3D Vector... (Render menu) on Leopard.
- Fixed an issue with clicking on a bone object with the Vertex Bone tool.
- Fixed a crasher that occurred when saving an image/animation that was 1024 pixels or larger to an SWF file (image based file save option).
- Several minor UI fixes.
- Fixed a project window crasher that occurred after editing a path keyframe with ease-in/ease-out.
- Fixed a Bezier surface object convert crasher that occurred when the complexity of a primitive object was reduced.
- Better handling of scenes with huge lightdome images that can slow down renderings.
- Made improvements to how the offset of an object handled.
- Fixed a bump mapping bug.
- Improvements made to the Undo mechanism.
- Fixed some undo problems/crashers.
- Fixed a crash when undoing a vertex extrude or bevel with gravity turned on in the poly mesh editor.
- Avoiding a situation where the Undo history was being cleared auto-magically.
- Fixed a Collada issue with UVs and normals getting messed up on import.
- Fixed a Poser Collada file import crasher.
- Some import fixes.
- Some export issues found and fixed while going through the code.
- The Collada importer is now using the files unit settings and it now actually sets the units to match the units of the geometry exported. The scale field of the import dialog should only be changed to something other than 1.0 if the file doesn't have units or if you want to modify the units. If no units are in the file then Strata assumes the units are meters. Previously exported files will most likely have bad units.
Note: previously Strata exported Collada files that had scale will have issues with their positions when imported back into Strata 3D CX 5.5.1.
Windows Platform specific fixes:
- Fixed redraw problems with the Position Maps dialog when clicking the zoom in/out buttons and in the Event Options dialog when clicking the next/previous buttons.
- Fixed a popup menu list caching issue.
- Fixed a Windows multi-core thread crasher when a rendering finishes and releases its threads.
- Fixed a Windows startup crasher.
- Fixed a dragging windows update problem under Vista.
- Fixed some problems with the popup menus positioning when near the right or left edges of the screen on Windows.
- Fixed a issue with some systems not refreshing the windows when the window was resized.
CX 5.5.1 Mac Intel version - Unsupported items:
- FBX (This can include import OBJ objects from CX 4.x, as they were imported via the FBX mechanism and remained an FBX entity). Converting to a Polygon mesh in 4.2 or 5.0(.1) should allow the files to come into the Mactel release. CX 5.5 on a PPC will still open and work with the older OBJ format. Note: you can enable CX 5.5 on the Mac Intel systems to run under Rosetta (PPC). To do this "Get Info" on the CX 5.5 application file and enable the "Open under Rosetta" option.
- StudioProReader (which reads StudioPro Blitz 1.75 and Vision 5.0 files). This is still supported in the PPC version.
You must have Strata 3D CX 5.5 in order to update to version 5.5.1. This updater will also update the PDF extensions and Strata 3D Vector plug-ins (for CX 5.5), if necessary, and if these have been installed into Strata 3D CX 5.5.
Online Technical Support
Strata's technical support can be reached by email at email@example.com. Though customer sales support is available by phone, no technical support is available via telephone. Answers to technical questions can be found in two additional ways. You can search the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and gain access to many other support resources by clicking on the Support link at Strata's website (www.strata.com). You can also find a great deal of support resources at Strata's user community site - www.stratacafe.com. At the StrataCafe you can find helpful information in the forums and answers to specific questions. You'll also find a place to post your work in progress and gain access to tips, techniques and more.
The StrataCafe members are very willing to help answer many of the questions you may have about Strata 3D and many other issues dealing with the 3D world. You'll find the discussion forums to be friendly. Also check out the 3D challenges, image galleries, resource libraries, and much, much more.
If you would like to reset all of your Strata 3D CX preferences, choose the application's Preferences command from the Strata 3D CX menu. Sometimes (though it is rare) the preference file may become corrupt and cause the application to function strangely. Resetting the preferences can sometimes help to resolve abnormal behavior in the application. To Reset the preferences, go to the Preferences dialog and click on the Reset button. Use the Quit option to immediately reset the preferences.
Compatibility Issues - Graphics Card Issues
Strata 3D CX utilizes the 3D graphics card in your computer for drawing the modeling windows. This can include, but is not limited to the movement of objects and displaying textures in the various windows. It is also used for other functions in the program. It is usually a good idea to keep your drivers up-to-date. Apple supplies both the nVidia and ATI drivers as part of the system install. Occasionally, however, a driver update may become available on the Apple website for both the nVidia and ATI cards, or via Software Update. ATI may also post newer drivers on their website for cards purchased separately from your Macintosh.
Strata 3D CX users with nVidia graphics cards are _strongly_ encouraged to set your Display Preferences to Millions of Colors (32 bit) for the best possible user experience.