macOS Catalina & Design 3D CX 8
Hi Strata Design 3D CX 8 Mac Users.
As you may have heard, macOS Catalina is now available. If you haven’t heard, apps with any 32-bit code won’t run. Design 3D CX 8 for Mac still has some 32-bit UI code (the important parts are 64-bit), and this means it won’t run on Catalina. We are working hard on our update to eliminate the remaining 32-bit code, but it’s not ready yet.
So, what should you do? Here are some thoughts from prominent publications and sites:
- Avoid my mistake and wait before you upgrade – ZDNet
- You don’t need to update your operating system right away – The Verge
- Upgrading to Catalina right away might be tempting, but… – 9to5Mac
Waiting is often a good choice, but if you’re not in a position to wait on this OS update, here are some additional options:
- Create a dual-boot with Mojave and Catalina – MacPaw
- Run Mojave in a virtual machine on Catalina – AppleToolBox
If you’re open to running Windows software (Design 3D CX is fully 64-bit on Windows) you may want to consider this option – Strata is extending a special offer on our “CrossGrade” Windows license (saving nearly $550 off a regular new license). Why would you want to do this?
- You get a completely separate Design 3D license for just $49.00
- The Mac license will still be eligible for upgrade
- A world of Windows software opens up to you
You don’t have to buy a new Windows PC in order to run this new license (though there are some very good PCs at amazingly low prices). You can also run Windows on your Mac – either within a virtual machine (Parallels is a great option – https://www.parallels.com/) or in dual-boot (using Boot Camp – https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468).
If you’d like to take advantage of our CrossGrade offer just click here to get the PC CrossGrade for just $49.00 – or go to: https://www.strata.com/downloads/design-3d-cx-8-pc-crossgrade-standard-license-x64/, click on the “1 Seat, $395” option and be sure to input coupon code STRATAPRO8 at checkout.
Regardless of your decision, we appreciate you being a Strata user.
Thanks – Ken Bringhurst, President
PS: This “CrossGrade” requires an existing Design 3D Mac license. This offer has been extended. If you have any questions, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.